Friday, June 19, 2009

The Baby


I decided after my go at making pillows that I would like to get a sewing machine and learn to use it. Well, it didn't take long for my luck to set in and for my to find an awesome sewing machine second hand. I paid $5 for this 1960's Singer 237. It is very heavy, not a shred made of plastic, and purrs like a kitten.
After some trouble getting it sewing, I tried a different spool of thread and the bobbin threaded immediately. Within you know, 12 hours of owning the machine I had already had several projects in mind, which will eventually make it on to this blog. It took a couple days for me to get a hang of the different stitch and tension settings, but I am doing well now.
The only problem I see with the machine right now is actually the case. Its original, and awesome in that sense, but its also old. I am trying to think of good ways to improve the case--everything from bringing it to a repair shop hoping they can replace it or something, to pulling the wallpaper like stuff off it and recovering it with contact paper. I am going to have to consult someone with more insight about this.
Also, you can see the desk it is sitting on...it is on my list of things to update over the summer. Painting or straining is the most reasonable option unless someone has a better idea.
What an awesome find!

1 comment: