Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tom Binns-Inspired Necklace

A couple weeks back a great blog Coco+Kelly had a post about combining pastels with fluorescents. The post featured the Tom Binns necklace shown below. For me, it was love at first sight. That was, until I saw the price--$1860.

After looking at Tom Binns' website a bit, I found several necklaces that I'd love to have in my collection, except for their price tag. I decided I might have to hit up Forever 21 and other similar stores with low priced trendy jewelry to get something similar when I remembered a DIY project I had seen on the blog Fab Finds Under $50.
Kimberly took a plain rhinestone necklace she found at Burlington Coat Factory for $10 and added some nail polish. Her finished product is quite excellent:


It took me a couple days to find a suitable starting necklace, but I finally found one--on clearance even--at Claire's in my local mall. It was originally $25 or so, but was only $5 that day. 


Like Kimberly, I collected my bright nail polish and purchased a couple cheap new colors that I didn't have. I then set out to paint the stones. I tried to not paint the prongs originally, but eventually gave up. This is my final product


My partner in coming up with these projects, also named Allison, made her own Tom Binns inspired piece, based on the second necklace above. She started with a necklace that she found for $25 (came with matching earrings, of course)


Then she painted some random areas on the necklace with neon yellow nail polish. Her finished project is below.


In addition, I've found another Tom Binns inspired necklace DIY, at Love Maegan


What projects have you done that were inspired by an item way out of your price range? And doesn't doing it yourself feel great, better than doling out the cash?


IhookedupwithHoHlamespice





6 comments:

  1. Love your blog. TOTALLY envy you new place. Super Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These necklace mods are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing idea! I would have never thought to add nail polish to them!

    We would love to have you link up this project at our blog for our Wayward Weekend! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/02/wayward-weekend-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder what would happen if you used stained glass paint instead of nail polish? would the rhinestones sparkle thru?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to thank you for the efforts you've put in writing this website. I am hoping to view the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website now ;)
    Also visit my web site - clean my pc

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not my first time to pay a quick visit this website, i am visiting this site dailly and obtain nice information from here daily.
    Look at my blog post :: Work from home

    ReplyDelete