Sunday, August 14, 2011

Glittered Heels

For a while, I've been obsessed with glittered shoes. Kitten heels, pumps, open toed pumps...Kate Spade, Jimmy Choo, Mui Mui....
The problem with this is I can't afford to buy a pair of Kate Spade shoes...but even more, I'm unsure how practical they will be for "everyday" wear, which is the test I put all of my clothing and shoes through. 

Glitter Heels

Christian Louboutin platform pumps
$895 - bergdorfgoodman.com

Christian Louboutin glitter pumps
$805 - mytheresa.com

Miu Miu glitter pumps
$476 - bluefly.com

Jimmy choo shoes
$495 - shirise.com

Betsey johnson shoes
$119 - betseyjohnson.com

High heel shoes
$120 - topshop.com


JustFabulous glitter pumps
$50 - heels.com

I've seen a couple DIY glittered shoes around the internet, and I decided to try it myself.
I had a pair of shoes I felt were good candidates, but I liked them as is too, so I set out on a hunt for affordable shoes to glitter. I went to the Salvation Army, and as luck would have it, I found an awesome, brand new pair of black opened toe ankle strap pumps. 

I bought them, but by the time I got home, I was already unsure that I wanted to glitter them, as I loved them in their current state. Also, the ankle strap and heel height made them slightly more dressy than I was intending. So, I decided to glitter the original heels and keep the "new" ones I had bought black! The shoes I ended up using are from Target, from a couple years ago. They're comfortable and I actually have them in two colors. 

All you need for this project is a pair of shoes, some glitter, modge podge, a little newspaper and some clear enamel spray paint.
 It was beautiful out that day, so I decided to work outside on my balcony.


Mix some modge podge and glitter- I used Martha Stewart's smokey quartz glitter, bought at Michael's for $3.99. I really just eyeballed it, no exact recipes here.

First Coat 
It took me about 4 coats to achieve the level of uhh...glitteirness that I wanted. As you can see, I also glittered a barrette I had laying around. I find when I have glue and glitter mixed, and even a little bit left over, I get giddy looking around trying to find something else to glitter.


I stuffed some newspaper into the shoes to protect the insides, and then sprayed a coat of clear enamel that I bought at Ace Hardware, also for $3.99.


Voila! The finished project. Prepare yourself, friends. I will be wearing these around town starting tomorrow morning!




8 comments:

  1. Holy Moley this worked?! I'm doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool on the glitter shoes Alison. That turquoise wrap dress will be stunning on you. I love the triangular (bias?) detail below the belt. I've been buying fab at www.thaisilks.com for years. If you want a swatch or three they will mail for free. 3x3" square, also in large amounts. Chanel jackets...Wow. www.habermanfabrics.com in Royal Oak has beauteous boucles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder about the studrdiness of the glitter, like, will it peel off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iris, I've worn the shoes to work twice now, and I really don't think the glitter is going anywhere. I think its probably important to make your layers of modge podge thin, and do more of them to really prevent cracking/peeling. Maybe I'll post follow up pictures after I've worn them more?
    Either way, this was a inexpensive way to get something that's not really so practical, and reuse a pair of shoes that were shortly headed for the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Mod Podge Rocks, and OH MY GLITTERNESS, I will be making myself a pair of these and SOON!! I have a very tough time finding comfortable shoes, and when I do, they are usually basic black, brown, boring. Can't wait to glitterize myself some fall fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH. EM. GEE. I am going to Michael's RIGHT now to get my aqua colored glitter. *In love*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thought I'd tell you I linked you in my post about my version of this AWESOME upcycling!

    http://theupcycledbox.blogspot.com/2011/11/shoes-no-hunny-shoes.html?spref=fb

    ReplyDelete