Thursday, February 10, 2011

Where did the name for my blog come from?

I call my blog "Welcome To My Home" which actually sounds quite related to home decor, right? Well, the name came from everyone's favorite 80's Soap Opera star-- Brenda Dickson. You see, Brenda has an amazing video that starts "Well hello!and welcome to my home!" and then goes on for about 20 minutes talking about her wardrobe, diet, exercise, organization for her house, etc. This video is HILARIOUS. I originally saw the video on YouTube, but Brenda herself has since exercised her copyright rights and removed it. She did re-release it for purchase in 2009. Here is a teaser for those of you who haven't seen it:

There are also some really funny parodies. I am a very sarcastic and dry witted person, and I intended to write this blog in that tone as well, however I realize it doesn't always come off the way I intend, so I have really switched my tone. (and the design--when I first started my blog my header was a picture of Ms Dickson herself) Plus, it turns out I occasionally actually have cool things to write about, not just sarcasm. So now, whenever you visit my blog, imagine Brenda greeting you with "Well hello! and welcome to my home!"

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Oh boy!

My RAST dresser hack was featured on one of my favorite blogs (and the inspiration for the project!) Effortless Style!!
Ellie also approves!

Thanks Camilla!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This plus That

What happens when you combine these awesome napkins with this dresser?

Napkins from Effortless Style, Ikea RAST dresser


Once I assembled the RAST dresser, I primed and painted it white. Remember my bottomless $5 gallon of paint? Well, it strikes again! 

I'll be honest, figuring out how to best get the greek key pattern onto the dresser was not easy. I first tried with tape and a ruler, and I just couldn't get it right. I started with taping the edges, and then the corners. Fail. No good. And add to that, the original paint color I picked was NOT what I was thinking. Paint has a nasty habit of not looking the same in real life as it does on the paint chip.

So more primer/white paint, and back to the drawing board. In the end, my trusty old graph paper came to the rescue. I created a template with the graph paper, cut it out, and then traced it lightly onto the drawers. THEN I used the tape to make it easier to paint.

The Stencil in action

Added some paint
 The last thing I needed to complete my dresser was some knobs. I found these sparkly knobs at Walmart, of all places. They were about $7 for two, which is the lowest price I saw of the stores I went to. And check this out: they're Allison knobs. Could that not be a sign that these are the knobs I should use??

The paint I used was this Valspar paint, called "La Fonda Turquoise". The sample size that I got is far more than enough, I will be able to use it for other projects.

Heres a comparison with the original color I picked- a color called Turquoise Bay by Ace.

And the nearly-final product (just missing some knobs):

Finally, I put it in place next to my bed. I am really happy with the way it looks in my room, and how it makes my room feel much bigger. My previous nightstand extended out too far along the side of my bed, and took up a lot of space. In retrospect, that table was definitely supposed to be a side table for a sofa, not a nightstand. Oh well.


Linked to: 
 Domestically SpeakingIhookedupwithHoHlamespice