Monday, May 31, 2010

Apartment Tour: Bedroom

The second part of my apartment tour is my bedroom. My bedroom has given me the most trouble of all rooms in my apartment. I've gone through several sets of different bedding, bed frames, layouts, colors, artwork on the walls, and yet nothing has really felt complete.

Previously I had a dark brown duvet with light blue/turquoise sheets, and some mirrored pillows that I made last summer. I also had a MALM bed from Ikea.
Since these pictures were taken,  I have replaced the comforter and duvet that was dark brown with a new down comforter and white sheets. I sold the bedframe and got a new metal one. I got the two bedside tables off of craigslist for $25 total, the down comforter and sheets from Target, and the rug from TJ Maxx. The dressers are actually from Ikea, I purchased them second hand when I lived in Chicago. I originally only had the tall dresser, but then later found both the long dresser with 6 drawers, and one with only 3 drawers. I used the 3-drawer dresser as a bedside table for a long time, but it felt very cluttered. I now have that dresser in the closet in the office, holding blankets and sheets. The cat here is Eleanor (Ellie). I got her from Animal Care and Control in Chicago about 2 years ago. She matches nicely, right?
The mirror on top of the dresser is from an awesome thrift store in Chicago called "Unique," and the necklace holder is actually a rack made for a closet, which came from target for about $8. I like to have my jewelry visible, otherwise I forget what I own and things don't get worn. The sconces on the wall were originally a gift from my Aunt for my living room, where they were for quite a while. I found sconces for the living room that better fit, and then had these in the closet for a while (and some canvases covered with fabric on the wall above the bed) until I was ready for a change. Honestly, I don't like the placement here-- they're too small for the size of the wall, I think it just makes the wall look even bigger and more empty. I'm still searching for the best thing to put on that wall.
One project that I have wanted to do for a while is to make an upholstered headboard. I did a post on this idea a while back (here) and haven't forgotten about it. I want to do it right when I do it, so I haven't jumped into it.
On the other side of the room, you can see a painting I did last summer and my map of Chicago. The map of Chicago was a gift I got as a sophomore in college for my birthday. It is laminated but came unframed, and I bought a frame separately from Michael's (of course using a coupon!). Finding a frame that really fit this poster was a challenge- it is slightly bigger than a normal movie poster, not a standard size.
The coat rack is something I've had for a long time--I got it for Christmas one year in high school. It has had various functions- for coats, purses, scarfs, etc. It has really been an awesome addition to my furniture. I used it in my room at home, in my dorm room(s) and in my apartment.
The vases on the dresser--the silver one is from Walmart-- I got it on clearance for $5. It matches a bowl that I actually have on my living room coffee table. The white vase is from Michael's. It was originally intended to be in the kitchen on the shelf with my other white ceramics, but it was too big. It fits much better in this spot.
And the cat pictured here is Franklin. He is also from Animal Care and Control in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment