Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kitchen Cabinets

The kitchen in my apartment came complete with some questionably painted cabinets. It was a good attempt at making them look clean and neutral, I'm sure, but it just wasn't doing it for me. The brown was too dark, and it looks they haven't been cleaned in 10 years despite that I do it often. So I decided it was time to paint them. Many people in my complex paint their walls, management doesn't seem to care, so I decided they wouldn't care if I painted my cabinets. Even if they do care, my security deposit was next to nothing. I went to my favorite Ace hardware and found my favorite paint guy. I wanted to paint the cabinets white, and I picked out a color called 'bone white.' Favorite paint guy pointed out to me that they carry that color pre-mixed, but they no longer had room for it on the shelf, so it was about 75% off. So, I got a gallon of this paint for $5, instead of spending around $20 to have it mixed. Awesome!
Here are my cabinets before:

And after a day or so of painting, here is the final product:

I will probably be making touch ups until I move out of this apartment-- every once in a while the lighting in the room will show a spot that needs some attention.  But, I'm very happy with how much brighter and cleaner the kitchen looks. Can you believe that's the same counter top as the first picture? I think its amazing how much nicer it looks. Next question-- do I paint the walls? It might need some color. And why stop now?

No comments:

Post a Comment