Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Years Eve Dress

I'm nothing if not a rule breaker, but one rule I won't break is the one that says you must wear sparkily or shiny things on New Years Eve. This year, in order to not break the rule I made a dress for myself out of a lovely bronze-gold stretchy fabric I got at Joanns.
I had a hard time deciding what pattern to use, but ultimately decided on Vogue 8631, a wrap dress. It was a snap to put together.

I'm actually proud to say that now I can basically look over the directions quickly but then I really don't need to refer to them word for word anymore! I used to hang on every word, now I'm doing my own thing. I guess I'm actually becoming more experienced!

I'm quite happy with the outcome, and think the pattern looks much like the picture on the envelope, minus any fitting issues which are my fault. I'm still perfecting fit and don't always want to make a muslin. I maybe paid $4/yard for this fabric so I wasn't too concerned. Plus its so shiny it basically blinds anyone who looks at it. Can't see the flaws anyway!

And now onto the awkward self portraits in the mirror:



This is ultimately how I wore the dress, minus the shoes. Those boots seem to cut my legs off at the worst place possible! I ended up wearing black flats!

The pattern directions say to finish the edges with bias tape. I didn't do that with this non-fraying fabric, but I think it will be a nice touch if this was made with a patterned fabric and contrasting bias tape.


Now, do I fix some fit issues and wear it to work?? I love day sparkle. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could sew like you! :) You're so talented!! I think the dress would look really nice with a black belt around it...would really polish it up, kwim?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love day sparkle! Go for it! Sometimes I have to remind myself that isn't generally a normal goal to look like a disco ball at work. Sooo I have to tone down my urge for bling occasionally. :)

    I'm totally impressed that you sewed a dress. Mine wouldn't turn out half as good. Mainly because it would probably only get half done and then I'd give up and turn it into, I don't know, a tablecloth or something. :)

    ReplyDelete