First, thanks to everyone who chimed in with ideas about what to do with the canning on this bench. I've finished the bench now!
Here's a reminder of what I started with:
I thought about using some grey fabric I have, but then I saw this piece of bright pinkish-orange fabric in my stash.
I got this fabric at Joann's, probably about a year ago. It was part of their dwell studio line in their 45" home decor fabrics. I think I probably got this for $6/yard.
I removed the old fabric (so gross, you don't want to see) and the accompanying 6000000 staples.I then did my best to totally remove the canning. I painted the frame white, and then started reupholstering.
I was sort of surprised how quickly this came together!
Even Ellie likes it!
(Ignore that small strip of brown. It has been painted now but I haven't had time to get new pics!)