Thursday, August 12, 2010

Balcony Progress

I've lived in my new apartment for just over a week now. I have spent a significant amount of time setting things up (I'm all unpacked, just not all decorated) or thinking about how I would set things up, and also have done some shopping to get new stuff I needed!

I spent much of last weekend looking for a set of chairs and a table for the balcony. And I looked EVERYWHERE. Target, Walmart, Home Depots, Kmart, Ikea, another Target, Lowes, another Walmart, Big Lots...another Home Depot...we looked everywhere.
We ended up finding the perfect set at the second Home Depot! It's a black metal, cafe size and has two chairs. It was on sale, and I was able to use a coupon I had for 10% off from my "welcome to the neighborhood" package (because I changed my address with the post office.)
I finished off the table with some flowers, in a pot from Ikea, and two pillows I previously made and had on my couch.  I am very happy with the end result here, and have already spent some time with my computer sitting at the table. Once the humidity drops a little I am sure I will be spending lots of time out there reading, with my computer...eating...drinking coffee. Ahhh.
There are lights out on the balcony, but I would love to add a cool fixture of my own. I am still looking for a good outdoor light- perhaps a nice string of patio lights or even just some white "christmas" lights?

Just for completeness, I have some other pictures of the other side of the balcony to show you. Along with those mums for the table I got some bigger ones for each corner, and put them in similar white pots. I have also put the small little bench thing that I previously had in my living room outside, with a side table. The kitties really love sleeping on/under this bench, and it's another nice option for hanging out on the balcony.



And so you can see it all together- here is the best picture I could take of the whole balcony (ignore the cat brush in the middle there!).


I tried to get a picture of Franklin and Eleanor hanging out on the balcony, but of course, as soon as I appeared downstairs they were very excited.


So does the balcony look exactly as my mood board from a couple weeks ago? Not really. At least not yet. It's definitely a work in progress, and now that I have a really awesome table and chairs I can focus on the other seating (or wait until next year since its going to quickly get colder). I have at least created a very usable space by spending very little, and leaving lots of opportunity for more projects in the future!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I myself will probably be moving soon and can't wait to redecorate. I have a ton of ideas swirling around in my brain, lol.

    ReplyDelete