Friday, July 13, 2012

Dresser Redo

The dresser pictured below was a purchase I made in college- second hand of course. It's an older style from Ikea, and I happen to have three pieces that match- the one pictured, a chest with 6 drawers, and a short style with only 3 drawers. I have certainly got my money out of this dresser, but recently I have been wanting a change. 


At first I thought I would just buy a new dresser, but months of looking at the Salvation Army and other local resale shops plus trolling craigslist turned up nothing that I liked well enough to schlep back to my house. 
I recently started a new job, but had a week vacation between jobs, and decided this was the perfect time to tackle my dresser and give it a new look. I decided I would paint it and change the knobs, and then while in the process had the great idea to also change the feet.

I always love the colors that other people pick for the furniture but tend to be a little more conservative when it comes to my pieces, and this time I really wanted to be bold. I decided an orange color would be great and went for it. The color I picked is a Martha Stewart color, but it was mixed in Behr paint because I only wanted a quart and Home Depot didn't have quarts of Martha Stewart paint. I also went out of my comfort zone and picked high gloss paint.

I didn't take lots of progress pics because I didn't do anything special- just did a light sanding, a coat of adhesion primer (this is veneered Ikea furniture after all) and then two coats of the color. 


After looking at all kinds of different knobs, I decided to go with this pendant knob that I found at Target.
They came in packs of 4 for $14.99, so I needed 3 packs of them for a total of about $45.

I also mentioned that I switched the feet on the dresser. I wanted something more dramatic than what was there already, and I found these bun feet that I really liked at Home Depot. They were $8.84 each, so about $36 total for the four.

The final product looks awesome in my opinion, and fits in my bedroom nicely. 




 


Primitive and Proper
HookingupwithHoH


13 comments:

  1. This looks great, I really love the bun feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorgeous color! i love the feet as well and LOVE the new hardware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous color! I'm trying to add some more coral and pink to my life too. I just painted a coral desk for my bedroom and I'm in LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice update! Those pulls are perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! A simple(ish!) update that looks fantastic!! Love your color choice, it really suits the piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! Love the shade & the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous! The color really pops against the navy rug! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is very useful for us. Apex Aura
    You can buy luxury apartment in Apex Aura

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is very useful for us. Capital Athena You can buy luxury apartment in Capital Athena Noida Extension.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing such a good information blog. You can buy Apex Aura Luxury 2 BHK Apartment in Apex Aura.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful blog. Apartment On Rent Find & Explore the Best Apartments, Flats for Rent on apartmentonrent, India's trusted Real Estate Portal.

    ReplyDelete